NRECA International projects require a diverse range of technical and operational expertise—which may include GIS planning, distribution system design, cooperative development and operation, and lineman training, among others—so there are ample opportunities for interested applicants to apply their respective skills to the challenge of rural electric system development in countries around the world.
NRECA International is currently providing expertise in electrification program design; rural utility development; legal, regulatory, financial and economic analysis; and engineering design and analysis, in sixteen countries, including Bangladesh, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Ghana, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Liberia, Pakistan, the Philippines, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda, and maintains its headquarters in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. Our focus is on resolving the issues that are critical to successful rural electrification program design and implementation.
NRECA International is contracted by the Bangladesh Rural Electrification Board (BREB) to act as the Construction Supervision and Management Consultant for the Up-gradation of Rural Electricity Distribution System (UREDS) project to supervise the construction of 110 substations and switching stations and a series of river crossings. The project began in December 2015 and has been extended through June, 2020.
NRECA International is seeking to hire a project manager for this project. The project manager will reside in Dhaka, Bangladesh, administer the project office, and perform the following duties:
- Act as the primary interface with BREB and maintain a cordial and productive relationship with the BREB project director and his staff. The project manager shall attend meetings as required and provide necessary support to BREB in the form of draft letters, technical or management research, and shall consult with BREB on all major decisions regarding contractors.
- Administer a construction inspection team for onsite inspection of substation, switching station and river crossing contractors.
- Conduct field visits to oversee NRECA International inspectors.
- Working in conjunction with BREB staff, administer a final inspection of completed work prior to commissioning of completed substations, switching stations and river crossings.
- Certify invoices for payment by BREB and verify accuracy of submitted bills from contractors.
- Submit periodic reports to BREB during the construction activity and draft the final project report for the NRECA International team leader’s review.
- Supervise the preparation of the Environmental and Social Management Plan reports by the environmental specialist.
- Oversee the activities of the project staff and work with the NRECA International Bangladesh office director to establish and implement personnel policies.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with the NRECA International project budget.
- Update and consult with the NRECA International team leader as required.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering.
- At least five years’ experience in the design and construction supervision of electric distribution and substation facilities.
- Served as a team leader for a project lasting at least one year, or as project manager for a local team of professionals charged individually with significant responsibilities for execution of the work.
- Knowledgeable in the fundamentals and calculations for electrical design of substations and standards applicable to substation equipment.
- Good oral and written communications skills in English.
- Prior work experience in South Asia is desirable.
Applicants should send an up-to-date CV describing their relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking for volunteer opportunities?