NRECA International projects require a diverse range of technical and operational expertise—which may include GIS planning, distribution system design, cooperative development and operation, and lineman training, among others—so there are ample opportunities for interested applicants to apply their respective skills to the challenge of rural electric system development in countries around the world.
NRECA International is currently providing expertise in electrification program design; rural utility development; legal, regulatory, financial and economic analysis; and engineering design and analysis, in sixteen countries, including Bangladesh, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Ghana, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Liberia, Pakistan, the Philippines, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda, and maintains its headquarters in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. Our focus is on resolving the issues that are critical to successful rural electrification program design and implementation.
NRECA and PowerGen are working collaboratively to prepare an electrification advisory project in Papua New Guinea (PNG), which will include significant expansion of off-grid service through private sector investors and developers. A key member of the NRECA/PowerGen team will be an Off-Grid Electrification Advisor who will lead all activities related to expansion of stand-alone solar solutions and development of mini-grids. This is an exciting opportunity to design and manage a large-scale off-grid program that will impact millions of households and drive economic growth.
The Off-Grid Electrification Advisor will be responsible for:
- Lead final selection and due diligence of ten mini-grid project sites in rural/remote areas of PNG.
- Organize a coordination mechanism with private sector investor/developers engaged in solar home system and mini-grid development to facilitate transfer of market intelligence and to support efforts in expansion of off-grid market growth.
- Identify financing mechanisms available through PNG donor partners supporting energy investment, US government agencies such as the US Department of Commerce, the US Department of Energy and USAID to support off-grid investors in PNG.
- Coordinate with demographic survey and geospatial support teams to quantify affordability, housing distribution and other geospatial data that may be useful to support off-grid electrification programs.
Minimum 2-year commitment in Papua New Guinea with the opportunity to extend to a five year maximum.
- Experience in scaling solar home systems and/or mini-grids in emerging markets.
- Experience supporting private sector off-grid business start-ups to secure capital and to increase market penetration.
- Experience advocating policies that support off-grid market expansion with local and central governments.
- Understanding of the technical, commercial, and policy elements of off-grid electrification.
- Ability to build alliances and to collaborate within and beyond an inter-disciplinary team of energy sector specialists and work in a multi-cultural environment.
NRECA International, established in 1962, is a rural development services organization focused on increasing access to electric service in developing countries. NRECA has extensive experience in providing technical assistance and consulting services to electric utilities and electrification agencies in developing economies. NRECA has designed, developed, and supervised construction of grid and mini-grid systems using solar photovoltaic energy systems; hydroelectric power stations; biomass gasification/combustion systems; and wind-hybrid power systems. NRECA has worked with a wide range of clients and sponsors, including the US Agency for International Development, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the US Department of Agriculture, the US Trade and Development Agency, the Asian Development Bank, the Inter-American Development Bank, the World Bank, and utilities worldwide. Current projects are underway in Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bolivia, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guatemala, Haiti, Jamaica, Kenya, Liberia, the Philippines, Uganda and Zambia and projects were recently completed in Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Pakistan, Sierra Leone, South Sudan and Tanzania.
NRECA is seeking candidates for the Chief of Party position to lead NRECA’s team in the upcoming USAID Papua New Guinea Electrification Partnership Program (PEP). The Chief of Party will be based in Papua New Guinea and manage technical assistance, training, and grants activities to increase access to electricity through achievement of four inter-related project components: (1) Improved performance of PPL; (2) Viable off-grid electrification; (3) Regulatory institutional improvement; and (4) Increased private sector investment.
Candidates must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field.
- Ten years or more experience in power sector technical advisory or consulting roles.
- Prior experience managing a large team of expert personnel.
- Prior experience leading policy advocacy work in developing countries.
Candidates should send their CVs along with contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org before September 15, 2019.
Looking for volunteer opportunities?