NRECA International projects require a diverse range of technical and operational expertise—which may include GIS planning, distribution system design, cooperative development and operation, and lineman training, among others—so there are ample opportunities for interested applicants to apply their respective skills to the challenge of rural electric system development in countries around the world.
NRECA International is currently providing expertise in electrification program design; rural utility development; legal, regulatory, financial and economic analysis; and engineering design and analysis, in sixteen countries, including Bangladesh, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Ghana, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Liberia, Pakistan, the Philippines, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda, and maintains its headquarters in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. Our focus is on resolving the issues that are critical to successful rural electrification program design and implementation.
NRECA International is seeking a project engineer to be a key functional member of the home office staff. His/her role will be to support international project operations, including rural electrification planning, off-grid system design and analysis, and design/construction projects. The candidate will support and participate in some aspects of business development activities, including review of potential opportunities and proposal support on an as-needed basis. The candidate will also be assigned specific project tasks, including engineering design, analysis, reporting, and client follow up. The candidate will support senior directors to ensure timely and successful completion of business development initiatives and project tasks.
Purpose and Mission
- Provide engineering expertise in design and analysis of rural electrification and electric utility systems and undertakes overseas assignments on an as-needed basis.
- Recruit and manage subcontractors and consultants in the execution of field work.
- Train and mentor junior staff in the design and execution of willingness to pay studies and economic analysis.
- Report writing, editing, and delivery in consultation with senior field staff.
- Assist in identification, dissemination, and evaluation of business opportunities, including recommendations to senior management on key opportunities.
- Assist in developing and maintenance of tools and materials (databases, templates, etc.) to enhance efficiency and timeliness of response to formal and informal business development opportunities, including:
- Personnel Resource Database
- Project Qualifications Database
- Assist in proposal process, including:
- Writing/editing support,
- Selection and organization of proposal contents,
- Quality control throughout the proposal development process.
- Participate in communications with external clients, including:
- Participation in design and development of special reports including those published on the NRECA International web site
- Special website content, including engineering toolkits, country reports, and updates
- Participate in special projects, including:
- Data collection for mini-grid projects in Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia
- Periodic engineering design and planning activities, as assigned by NRECA Engineering Manager.
- Other tasks as necessary and/or assigned by International Senior Vice President.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Strong engineering skills and demonstrated ability to effectively manage complex and lengthy assignments involving multiple personnel.
- Tactical, day-to-day organizational skills with developing analytical skills.
- Superior writing skills and ability to speak foreign languages
- Experience in contributing to successful completion of overseas project assignments.
How to Apply
Applicants should send an up-to-date CV which documents their relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer Statement: The preceding job description has been written to reflect management’s assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Looking for volunteer opportunities?