NRECA International projects require a diverse range of technical and operational expertise—which may include GIS planning, distribution system design, cooperative development and operation, and lineman training, among others—so there are ample opportunities for interested applicants to apply their respective skills to the challenge of rural electric system development in countries around the world.
NRECA International is currently providing expertise in electrification program design; rural utility development; legal, regulatory, financial and economic analysis; and engineering design and analysis, in many countries across Asia, Africa, and Latin America, and maintains its headquarters in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. Our focus is on resolving the issues that are critical to successful rural electrification program design and implementation.
NRECA International is managing and operating a generation and distribution electric utility in the north of Haiti funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) in partnership with the Government of Haiti. The Project for Sustainable Electricity Distribution – Transition (PSELD-T) utility provides modern electricity services to the Caracol Industrial Park and the surrounding communes. Currently, PSELD-T has approximately 14,000 clients and 270 km of distribution lines.
The Engineering and Distribution Operation Advisor will provide guidance, support, and is responsible for all the activities of the Engineering and Distribution Operation Department. The Electricity Distribution Department team is responsible to manage the performance of the electricity distribution system of PSELD-T. This position involves the application of comprehensive knowledge of engineering and electricity distribution operation and maintenance procedures, supervision of local staff and providing oversight of all activities related to the Distribution Department of the electric utility.
The PSELD-T Engineering and Distribution Operation Advisor will be responsible for:
- The planning, inspection, and oversight of the operation of the PSELD-T distribution system;
- The planning and to assure the protection system is working properly to minimize the outages at the PSELD-T system;
- The planning of and oversight of the revenue protection crews;
- The oversight of activities related to the disconnection of illegal connections by the revenue protection crews;
- The planning and oversight of the daily work assignments for all the operations personnel;
- The inspection and supervision of construction activities for the primary (23 kV) and secondary (110/240 volts) electric distribution system. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Tracking line design progress
- Monitoring quality of line construction
- Maintaining system maps
- Maintaining coordination and sectionalizing schemes
- Reviewing existing staking sheets and assisting with the design of new PSELD-T electric lines.
- Conducting hands-on training activities in coordination with local NRECA and non-NRECA personnel as requested by the Chief of Party. This will include but not be limited to:
- Line construction quality control
- Safety rules and safety practices
- Ensuring PSELD-T staff receive safety and skills development training, and have access to personal protection equipment, hand tools, and vehicular support to accomplish tasks in a safe and effective manner;
- Maintaining documentation of labor and materials, work equipment, tools, transportation equipment and other assets assigned to PSELD-T staff;
- Providing information for the procurement process regarding supplies and materials needed in sufficient time for them to be ordered and received in a timely fashion;
- Receiving and analyzing service interruption reports and voltage complaints;
- Recommending changes to correct conditions in system design wherever possible;
- Monitoring outage reports and evaluates the annual summaries for planning of system maintenance;
- Assisting on any system outage until service is fully re-established;
- Performing ongoing analysis of the electricity losses to respond, improve, and/or modify the network accordingly.
Level of Effort
This will be a full-time assignment.
During this assignment, the Advisor will report to and be under the supervision of the Chief of Party.
- A degree in Electrical Engineering
- Ten (10) years of experience working in Engineering and/or Distribution Operation area
- Two (2) years of experience working for international companies and/or projects
- Five (5) years of experience in a management or supervision position.
- Four (4) years of experience in design and engineering of electricity distribution systems
- Four (4) years of experience in operation and maintenance of electricity distribution systems
- Good working level skill in English is required.
- Good working skills in AutoCAD, ArcGIS and\or Qgis software
Must live and work in Haiti
The application must include:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV) written in English;
- A cover letter;
- Copies of certificates and diplomas mentioned in the CV;
- Copies of work certificates;
Please send your application files to email@example.com. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Looking for volunteer opportunities?